Search & Rescue
Organizing Search & Rescue Operations
- Rescuer safety is your first priority.
- Form 2-person or larger S&R teams. Volunteers may assist under CERT supervision.
- Equip teams with first aid supplies, triage tags and S&R Forms.
- First pass is to rapidly assess the situation, conduct triage and treat the Three Killers (Airway, Bleeding, Shock), and then return to treat and/or transport the other casualties.
- Start searching where you are and move out in a logical pattern. Document as you go.
- Size up the situation continually.
- Always work with a buddy, never alone.
- Conduct a 360-degree exterior visual and voice search of all structures for injured or trapped occupants. Never assume structures are vacant.
- Only enter and search a structure if you suspect there are trapped or injured persons inside. Radio your Incident Commander before entering and leaving, or have someone outside monitor your progress.
- Rescue lightly trapped victims first.
- Use "X" search marking procedures before and after the structure search.
Search & Rescue | Lakewood Ranch Community Emergency Response Team